UFP Industries Reports Record Net Earnings for Second Quarter
UFP Industries, Inc. announced record net earnings attributable to controlling interest of $66.5 million for the second quarter of 2020, as well as record EPS of $1.08 per diluted share, a 23 percent increase over the same period of 2019.
“I am very grateful that our operations were deemed essential and we were able to continue to serve customers during the second quarter,” said CEO Matthew J. Missad. “I am also grateful to our customers, many of whom continued to operate by finding new ways to serve the public and keep their employees safe. Their extraordinary efforts contributed to the success we experienced in the second quarter.
“While virus-related shutdowns negatively impacted our industrial and construction segments in ways we expected, the increase in home improvement activity resulting from stay-at-home orders benefited our retail segment. Conditions improved as we progressed through the second quarter, as demand in our retail segment accelerated sharply while the headwinds in our industrial and construction segments eased. Overall, our results once again validate our balanced business model and diverse product portfolio, which combine to mitigate the risk of a decline in a single market.
“We experienced much greater than expected demand for our home improvement products, and I give credit to our managers, treating and production teams, and buyers who worked tirelessly to fill customer orders and continue to do so. Our decentralized, entrepreneurial model empowers our local leaders with the decision-making authority they need to respond quickly to market changes, and our experienced team answered the call again, just as they have during other challenging times. They rapidly adapted to the changes in the markets they serve and made the changes necessary to keep our employees safe.”
The company continues to execute strategies to grow and enhance its value-added service and product offering, including:
– The company recently acquired T&R Lumber, which manufactures and distributes a range of products used primarily by nurseries, including tree boxes, plastic containers, stakes and trellises.
– New product sales grew 6 percent, driven by retail sales, which grew nearly 16 percent
UFP Industries maintains a disciplined and balanced approach to capital allocation with ample availability for growth and to return to shareholders. The company’s long-term credit facilities and cash currently provide over $562 million in available liquidity, and it continues to maintain a strong pipeline of acquisition targets. Additionally, on July 22, 2020, the company’s board approved a quarterly dividend payment of 12.5 cents a share, a prorated 25 percent increase over the dividends paid in 2019. The dividend is payable on September 15, 2020, to shareholders of record on September 1, 2020. During the first quarter, the company repurchased 750,000 shares of its common stock at an average price of $38.62; it is authorized to repurchase an additional 1.1 million shares.
Second Quarter 2020 Highlights (comparisons on a year-over-year basis):
– Earnings from operations of $92.4 million were up 24 percent, and net earnings attributable to controlling interest of $66.5 million were up 22 percent
– EBITDA of $110.4 million increased by 22 percent
– Net sales of $1.24 billion; higher lumber prices contributed 3 percent in net sales which was substantially offset by a 3 percent decrease in units sold
– Operating cash flow more than doubled to $147.2 million for the first six months of 2020, up 107 percent over the same period of 2019
– Cash reserves exceed debt by almost $37 million
By business segment, the company reported the following second-quarter results:
– $609.2 million in net sales, up 26 percent over the second quarter of 2019. Retail unit sales increased 22 percent, with higher selling prices increasing sales by 4 percent. The following business units drove unit sales growth: Home and Décor (up 72 percent); ProWood (up 27 percent); Fence, Lawn and Garden (up 23 percent); and UFP-Edge (up 9 percent). Retail sales growth accelerated as the second quarter progressed, with year-over-year sales increasing from 3 percent higher in April to 47 percent higher in June.
– $224.4 million in net sales, down 23 percent from the second quarter of 2019. Unit sales decreased 27 percent, while higher selling prices contributed a 4 percent increase in gross sales. Industrial sales showed steady improvement as the second quarter progressed, with year-over-year sales improving from 32 percent lower in April to 14 percent lower in June.
– $359.2 million in net sales, down 13 percent from the second quarter of 2019, due to a 16 percent decrease in unit sales and a 3 percent increase in selling prices. Unit sales fell in all business units: Concrete Forming (down 5 percent), Site Built (down 15 percent), Commercial (down 19 percent), and Factory Built (down 20 percent). Construction sales showed steady improvement as the second quarter progressed, with year-over-year sales improving from 19 percent lower in April to 6 percent lower in June.
For the full second quarter results, click here.
About UFP Industries, Inc.
UFP Industries is a holding company whose subsidiaries supply wood, wood composite and other products to three robust markets: retail, construction and industrial. Founded in 1955, the company is headquartered in Grand Rapids, Mich., with affiliates throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. For more about UFP Industries, go to www.ufpi.com.
Dick Gauthier – Vice President Business Outreach – (616) 365-1555
Source: UFP Industries, Inc