Builders FirstSource Reports Second Quarter 2020 Results
Builders FirstSource, Inc. (“we” or the “Company”) reported its results for the second quarter ending June 30, 2020.
Second Quarter 2020 Highlights:
– Net sales for the quarter increased by 2.2% compared to the prior year period
– Core organic sales declined 2.1%, excluding acquisitions and commodity impacts
– Acquisitions contributed net sales growth of 2.5%
– Estimated sales volume, which includes core organic and acquisitions, grew by 0.4%
– Commodity inflation increased sales by 1.8%
– Adjusted EBITDA increased 11.2% to a record $162 million, or 8.3% of net sales driven by disciplined cost management
– Net income of $78.9 million, or $0.67 per diluted share, and adjusted net income of $79.2 million, or $0.67 per diluted share
– Strong quarter-end balance sheet with a net debt to Adjusted EBITDA ratio of 2.3x and liquidity of $1.2 billion.
CEO Chad Crow said, “We are incredibly proud of our team’s ability to overcome the challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic and produce record-setting second quarter EBITDA results. During the quarter, we carefully monitored local business conditions in order to safely and effectively deliver critical products and services to our customers, all while preserving as many jobs as possible. As we look at our markets, improvement in housing data, record low mortgage rates, and shifts toward suburban living are all encouraging and continue to support demand for our integrated services. To that end, in June, we experienced a sharp sequential rebound in sales. Going forward, we remain confident in our ability to outperform the market as well as mitigate business disruptions outside of our control related to the COVID-19 pandemic.”
CFO Peter Jackson added, “Our proactive actions and focused execution at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic allowed us to operate effectively throughout a challenging environment. During the first half of the year, we actively enhanced our financial flexibility, liquidity, and cash flow to better position our business for continued success. We are pleased with our progress in de-leveraging and fortifying our balance sheet as we reduced our net leverage ratio to 2.3x, which is below the low end of our targeted range.”
Second Quarter 2020 Compared to Second Quarter 2019
– Net sales for the second quarter ending June 30, 2020, were $1.9 billion, a 2.2% increase compared to a year ago. Core organic sales declined by 2.1% and commodity price inflation added 1.8% to net sales.
– Acquisitions contributed net sales growth of 2.5% attributable to the five acquisitions completed during the prior four quarters.
– Value-added product sales volume grew by an estimated 0.4%, led by 3.3% growth in our Windows, Doors, and Millwork product category partially offset by a decline of 2.6% in our Manufactured Products.
– Demand remained resilient across our three customer end markets. Single family and multi-family estimated sales volume declined by 0.6% and 1.4%, respectively, while repair and remodel / other grew estimated sales volume by 4.1%.
– Gross margin was $517.3 million, flat compared with the prior year. Our gross margin percentage decreased to 26.6 percent from 27.2 percent in the prior year period. The decrease was attributable to the expected normalization in our lumber and lumber sheet goods product category gross margin percentage compared to the prior year period.
Selling, General and Administrative Expenses
– SG&A in the second quarter of 2020 was $388.1 million, a decrease of approximately $13.4 million, driven by disciplined cost reduction which resulted in lower variable compensation and benefit expenses, travel and entertainment expense, as well as lower fuel expense. As a percentage of sales, SG&A decreased by 110 basis points to 19.9 percent.
– Interest expense decreased by $2.6 million to $26.8 million compared to the same period last year. The year over year decrease is largely due to one-time charges related to debt financing transactions executed in the prior year period. Adjusting for the one-time charges in both periods, interest expense increased by $1.7 million due to a higher outstanding debt balance as compared to the prior year quarter, partially offset by the effect of lower interest rates.
Income Tax Expense
– Income tax expense in the second quarter of 2020 was $23.5 million, or an effective tax rate of 23.0%. In the same period of the prior year, income tax expense was $19.7 million, or an effective tax rate of 22.8%.
Adjusted Net Income
– Net income was $78.9 million, or $0.67 per diluted share, compared to $66.6 million, or $0.57 per diluted share, in the same period a year ago.
– Adjusted net income was $79.2 million, or $0.67 per diluted share, compared to $74.1 million, or $0.63 per diluted share, in the second quarter of 2019. The increase in adjusted net income of $5.1 million, or 6.9%, was primarily driven by the reduction in variable SG&A described above.
– Adjusted EBITDA grew $16.3 million to $161.9 million, an increase of 11.2%, setting a quarterly record. The increase was driven by our cost management measures during the COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, Adjusted EBITDA improved to 8.3% of sales in the second quarter from 7.6% in the same period a year ago.
Year to Date June 30, 2020 Financial Information:
– Net sales year to date were $3.7 billion, a 5.6% increase compared to the first half of 2019, largely driven by the impact of acquisitions of 3.0% while core organic growth contributed 0.6%. Commodity inflation and one additional selling day increased sales by 1.2% and 0.8%, respectively.
– Estimated sales volume grew 3.6%. Demand increased across our three customer end markets. We grew in all of our product categories with the exception of Gypsum, Roofing and Insulation.
– Gross margin increased $23.6 million to $982.7 million. Our gross margin percentage decreased to 26.3% in the first half of 2020 from 27.1% in the first six months of 2019, an 80 basis point decrease. The decrease was attributable to the expected normalization in our lumber and lumber sheet goods product category gross margin percentage, compared to the prior year period in which we experienced a particularly strong gross margin percentage, due in part to commodity deflation.
Adjusted Net Income
– GAAP net income was $87.7 million, or $0.75 per diluted share, compared to $102.3 million, or $0.88 per diluted share, in the first half of 2019, a decrease of $0.13 per diluted share, or 14.9%.
Adjusted net income was $119.4 million, or $1.02 per diluted share, compared to $113.9 million, or $0.98 per diluted share, in the first half of 2019, an increase of $0.04 per diluted share. The increase in adjusted net income of $5.5 million, or 4.8%, was primarily driven by the increase in net sales, partially offset by higher SG&A.
– Adjusted EBITDA for the first half of 2020 grew $12.4 million to a record $258.9 million, or 6.9% percent of sales, compared to $246.5 million, or 7.0% of sales, for the first half of 2019, an increase of 5.0%. The year over year improvement was due to the increased gross margin partially offset by higher SG&A, related to the acquisitions completed over the last four quarters.
Capital Structure, Leverage, and Liquidity Information:
– Adjusted EBITDA, on a trailing twelve-month basis, was $528.0 million and net debt was $1.237 million as of June 30, 2020. Our net leverage ratio decreased to 2.3x net debt to Adjusted EBITDA at June 30, 2020 from 2.8x as of March 31, 2020, a reduction of 0.5x and below the Company’s target leverage ratio of between 2.5x and 3.5x.
– Cash generated by operating activities was $169.9 million in the first six months of the year. Cash used in investing activities was $69.3 million in the first half of 2020 including capital expenditures, net of proceeds, of $53.4 million and $15.9 million used for our acquisitions.
– In April of 2020, we completed a private offering of an additional $350.0 million in aggregate principal amount of senior secured notes due 2027 at an issue price of 98.75% of par value. Proceeds were used to repay the funds drawn under our revolving credit facility and to pay related transaction fees and expenses, with the remaining net proceeds available as cash on hand.
– Liquidity as of June 30, 2020 was $1.2 billion, consisting of $817.8 million in net borrowing availability under the revolving credit facility and $385.5 million cash on hand.
Mr. Crow concluded, “Our first half results demonstrate a positive overall homebuilding environment, supported by tailwinds and rising demand across our diverse, national footprint. We are focusing our efforts on disciplined cost management while we work to efficiently meet customer demand, manage the impact of accelerating commodity inflation and generate additional cash flow in the third quarter. We are exceptionally well-positioned to execute on organic and inorganic value-enhancing growth opportunities that advance our long-range plan, and help us win in our markets. I especially thank our fifteen thousand team members for the milestones achieved and the ongoing safety-first emphasis in an unprecedented environment.”
For the full second quarter results, click here.
About Builders FirstSource
Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Builders FirstSource is the largest U.S. supplier of building products, prefabricated components, and value-added services to the professional market segment for new residential construction and repair and remodeling. We provide customers an integrated homebuilding solution, offering manufacturing, supply, delivery and installation of a full range of structural and related building products. We operate in 40 states with approximately 400 locations and have a market presence in 77 of the top 100 Metropolitan Statistical Areas, providing geographic diversity and balanced end market exposure. We service customers from strategically located distribution and manufacturing facilities (certain of which are co-located) that produce value-added products such as roof and floor trusses, wall panels, stairs, vinyl windows, custom millwork and pre-hung doors. Builders FirstSource also distributes dimensional lumber and lumber sheet goods, millwork, windows, interior and exterior doors, and other building products. For more information about Builders FirstSource, visit the Company’s website at www.bldr.com.
Binit Sanghvi – Vice President Investor Relations – (214) 765-3804
Source: Builders FirstSource, Inc.